Child Support Enforcement Program In Ontario

How to Work With The Family Responsibility Office (FRO)

What is the Family Responsibility Office, and what does it do? The Family Responsibility Office (FRO) is responsible for enforcement of child support in Ontario and ensuring that payments are made. The FRO enforces support orders and any support agreements established under a domestic contract filed with the court.

FRO Ontario registers a support agreement. That is the first step. Then, the Family Responsibility Office serves as a go-between for payments. A payor pays FRO; this is usually done through wage garnishment. It is then up to FRO to send money owed to the rightful parent to the recipient parent after that. This plan continues

Different Ways FRO Can Collect Unpaid Support

The Family Responsibility Office of Ontario has a variety of methods for obtaining child support payments. This is true if bills are not being paid. In Ontario, FRO has been granted primary enforcement power.

  • Garnish a payor’s bank account or half of the payor’s account, if they hold it jointly.
  • To make a payoff or government money, such as Canada Pension Plan payments, unemployment insurance, income tax refunds, or worker’s compensation.

The Family Responsibility Office has the power to issue a lien against a payor’s personal property. They can also issue a writ for seizure and sale of property. Seizures include lottery winnings, starting a default hearing, and making an order against anyone helping the payor hide income.

The most frequent FRO measure is the suspension of a driver’s license. Prior to restricting a license, they must give 30 days notice. Without a driver’s license, it will be considerably more difficult for them to work and earn money, naturally.

The Office may have the payor brought before court and held in contempt of the support order if FRO does not provide for any of these methods for a payor to resume making child support payments. This might result in a large fine or even imprisonment.

Child Support Payors: What You Should Know

How to Make Support Payments

In Ontario, child support payors must update their information with the Family Responsibility Office if they do not. FRO will work with you to deduct the amount owed for child support and transfer funds on your behalf, ensuring that the receiver is reimbursed in accordance with the court order issued.

If there are no problems, this agreement remains in place. It is critical that you, the payer, respond if issues arise. Is it possible for FRO to withdraw money from your bank account – definitely; it is within their rights to do so. This is why, before you fall behind on payments, contact the Office and set up a payment plan.

If you receive a suspension notice for non-payment, you have 30 days as the payor to contact FRO and enter into a payment arrangement, seek a refraining order, or settle up the arrears.

How it Works for Payors Who Are Employed

For a payor who is employed, paying child support in Ontario is straightforward. The Ontario courts grant FRO permission to send a support deduction notice to your employer in a child support order. Your net wages are deducted and recorded with FrO as required. These are automatic deductions you’ll see on your wage statement.

It will take some time to get the payments organized. Please keep in mind that during this time, a payor will be required to hand over cash directly to the Family Responsibility Office.

How it Works for Payors Who Are Self-Employed, Unemployed, And/or Not On A Regular Payroll

Support payments cannot be deducted if you are self-employed, unemployed, or do not have a regular payroll. Obviously, support payments can’t be taken from someone who isn’t an employer since they can’t be deducted as they would with a normal employer. A payor must make a payment to the FRO directly in all of these situations.

You may pay via a pre-authorized debit from your bank account. To make this happen, a payor must fill out a preauthorized debit application for payors and either mail it or send it by fax to the following address:

Family Responsibility Office

Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services

PO Box 200, Station A

Oshawa, Ontario

L1H 0C5

Fax: 416-240-2401

Another choice is to make your support payments in the same manner you pay a bill, by using your bank. Most banks and credit unions are registered payees with the Family Responsibility Office, allowing you to register payments either online or over the phone.

You may also pay your bills using your internet banking. Add “Family Responsibility Office” as a payee in the bill payment area, just as you would with a bill. The account number is seven digits long and begins either with a ‘0’ or a ‘1.’

If you don’t have a credit card, you can also send cash or a money order to pay your bill. In this situation, send your payment to the following address:

Family Responsibility Office

Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services

PO Box 2204, Station P

Toronto, Ontario

M5S 3E9

Please submit a cheque or money order made out to the “Family Responsibility Office.” In all communications with the Family Responsibility Office, please include your entire name as well as your complete name on payments and payments. Please be advised that if you do not include this information – in particular, your case number and complete name on the cheque – you will likely be unable to process it. If this happens, enforcement action will be taken against you. As a result, confirming receipt of a cheque after it has been sent is not awful.

What Are Alternative Payment Orders?

In very rare circumstances, a court may allow a support payor to make payments in a different manner than through automatic income deductions. They are not handed out arbitrarily and must be authorized by the court.

Fill out the alternative payment order form before your court date if you want to request a replacement payment order. Please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that an alternate payment order will be granted. It is up to the judge’s discretion whether or not they grant one. If you don’t have a divorce lawyer in Toronto, a court clerk can finish the rest of the form in the same manner as before.

What to Do If You Need to Pay Arrears

Child support payors generally pay in full and on time. Some, on the other hand, fall behind for a variety of reasons. “Arrears” is the term used to describe the amount that you are past due if you go beyond your deadline.

There’s no need to be alarmed if you fall behind. Simply give FRO a call, and we’ll work together to set up a personal payment plan. FRO will collaborate with you to pay off your debt while also continuing to provide support. FRO can assist you make up missed payments in an enormous way, so don’t hesitate to contact them.

The answer is yes, you can go to jail in Ontario for failing to pay child support.

What You Should Do When Support Payments End

In general, a payor will continue to make payments until the Family Responsibility Office notifies them in writing to cease.

In Ontario, there is no provision for automatic termination of child support payments. These payments do not cease when a kid reaches the age of 18, for example. That said, in a support order or domestic contract, a certain date or event might be specified that specifies when the obligation to pay child support should end. A frequent occurrence known as a ‘terminating event’ could be something like a youngster beginning full-time employment, post-secondary education, or if the recipient gets remarried.

If a date or event is not specified, it is both the payor’s and recipient’s responsibility to agree when child support payments should cease. Notify FRO if there is an agreement to terminate child support payments. Maintain communications with the Office. If a court order stipulates when child support should end, inform the Family Responsibility Office as well. FRO cannot advocate for either party since it does not take either side.

If you believe that aid should end or has already ended, you may file a request to terminate enforcement of ongoing support and mail the paperwork to the following address:

Family Responsibility Office

Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services

PO Box 200, Station A

Oshawa, Ontario

L1H 0C5

Fax: 416-240-2401

Finally, if there is a dispute as to when the payments should end or how they should be discontinued in Ontario, it becomes a legal issue that must be addressed through the court system.

Child Support Recipients: Things You Need to Know

Receiving Your First Payment

It takes approximately 30-60 days for a recipient to receive their first child and spousal support if there are no concerns with the payor or any other conflicts affecting payment enforcement. If the payer lives outside of Ontario, has yet to make payments, or has not yet notified their employer, it might take longer. Payments are generally paid out via direct deposit within 48 hours of receiving the money from the payor.If you receive a payment directly from a payor, notify FRO right away since all support payments must flow through this location.

What to Do If You Haven’t Received Your Support Payment

If you are a registered support recipient and were expecting a child support payment but have not yet received it, contact FRO. Do not go to the payor yourself. A FRO representative can tell you whether a payment was sent and is delayed, or whether there was an issue with the payor.

A child support payment that’s not yet received could also be down to a technical issue or bank information that is not fully updated.

If you call and are told that the payor is in arrears, you may submit a Statement of Arrears to the Office, which will itemize how much is owing, including any prior support owed if one exists. This will be sent to the Office for processing.

If you have joint custody or are a parent of your former spouse, you do not have the right to limit, impede, or interfere with your partner’s parenting time with the kids since they no longer pay support.

How to Get Information About Your Support Payments With FRO Online

FRO Online provides a wealth of information for those who need it, and it’s simple to use. This is the quickest approach to obtain information about support payments as well as provide status updates on case progress, outstanding arrears, current obligations, and active enforcement.

You can access FRO Online through the website. After you’ve logged in, scroll down to “What’s New?” at the bottom of the screen. This new self-service feature, which allows you to not just obtain information on your case and support payments but also a platform through which you can submit questions, information, and documents, is now available to you after you’ve logged in.

To sign up, all you have to do now is confirm a few essential details. You’ll need your 7-digit case number, date of birth, and present mailing address. It might take several weeks for everything to be registered from enrolling for the enrollment letter to setting up the account.

With an FRO Online account, you may get a lot of information or questions answered without having to call in or play phone tag with a representative since you take the guesswork out of why support payments haven’t shown up, when they’re coming, and so on.

How to Enforce Support Across Provinces And Countries

When there is no parent in Ontario to enforce the child support order, it may seem more complicated. When a payor is outside of Ontario, it’s not as difficult as you think. FRO has agreements with all Canadian provinces and territories, every state in the United States, and over thirty countries. All support orders in these areas are registered through FRO and enforced in the same way as if they were issued by an Ontario court. If the payor moves outside Ontario but remains in Ontario, enforcement is the same.

Scroll to Top